When I stepped out this morning with one of my girls, I caught a taste of what I want the flavor of our summer to be. I’m craving slow mornings with tiny toes in the wet morning grass. A bowl of strawberries freshly picked from our yard. Cut rhubarb and a deep breath as we slow down together and fully appreciate the simple joys of life.
As we picked berries together, still in our jammies, I thought about how important it is to do life intentionally and to teach my kids to appreciate simple moments like this. We spend so much time running from place to place and I’ve been noticing how my kids need time to simply rest and use their imaginations. As we approach summer break, I’m realizing as their Mom, it’s my job to create these moments for my family.
We used our strawberries and rhubarb to make these simple creamsicles. They’re lightly sweetened with honey and to me, they taste just like summer.
Dice the rhubarb, chop the strawberries and then add both to a pan with a little water in it. As you bring them to a boil, sprinkle in a touch of cinnamon.
Allow the berries, rhubarb and cinnamon to boil until the rhubarb is soft.
Pour half and half, honey and vanilla into a blender and then add the cooked strawberries and rhubarb (after they’ve cooled for a few minutes). Blend just slightly, tasting to see if it’s sweet enough for your family. Pour into popsicle molds and freeze.
- ½ cup water
- 1 cup diced rhubarb
- 1 ½ cup chopped strawberries
- Sprinkle of cinnamon
- 1 cup half and half
- ¼ cup honey
- Splash of vanilla
- Over medium heat, bring water, rhubarb, strawberries and cinnamon to a boil.
- Cook until rhubarb is soft and then set to the side to cool.
- Pour half and half, honey and vanilla into a blender and then add in the cooked strawberries and rhubarb.
- Blend just slightly, tasting to see if it’s sweet enough for your family.
- Pour into popsicle molds and freeze.