Here in the Pacific Northwest, it’s prime berry pickin’ season! It’s been so hot the blackberries are ripe earlier than usual, the raspberries are teaming off the vines, and U-Pick blueberry farms are busy busy busy. What better use of berries than to mix them all up in a mouth-watering medley? I love this crisp because it tastes light and refreshing, and is the perfect summer dessert.
I love that you can throw the ingredients together so quickly and pop it in the oven. Feel free to modify the amount of sugar to your heart’s desire. I find that the berries add such a natural sweetener that not too much sugar is needed. I like to whip up real cream and put a healthy dollop on top. Enjoy!
- 1 cup fresh blackberries
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 4 tablespoons white, organic sugar.
- 1 1/2 cups of almond meal/flour
- 2 cups rolled oats (I am under the impression that oats are gluten free, but if you have serious sensitives or celiac disease, then oats are off-limits. Bobs Red Mill sells gluten-free rolled oats)
- 1 1/2 cups packed organic brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1/4 cups soft butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In bowl, toss together berries and white sugar.
- In another bowl, combine flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Mix in butter until crumbly.
- Press half the mix into the bottom of a pan, cover with berries, and sprinkle remaining crumble mix over the top.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes, or until bubbly and golden brown.