Welcome to the first ever NW Healthy Mama Book Club! One of our readers suggested we do this and I thought it was a great idea, so here we are! In my first post about the book club, I gave you all a list of 7 different books. You voted and ‘Yes Please’ won….with the newest book by Jen Hatmaker coming in as a close second.
I hadn’t read this book before and so I didn’t really know what to expect. Kelle Hampton from “Enjoying the Small Things” gave it a raving review and so, I had it on my wishlist for awhile. As I’ve been reading it, there’s a lot that I really enjoy, like for example, the “Birthing Plan” section had me rolling with laughter, while my husband was trying to fall asleep next to me. Oh.My.Gosh. SO FUNNY.
But…..To keep it real, I just have to mention that I had NO idea what a potty mouth she has in this book. So, if you think I’m personally endorsing this book or that kind of language, please know that I am not. I just had to get that out there so, we’re all clear. Got it? Awesome.
Okay, so here’s how the book club will work!
- Every week we will have a certain amount that we should read and I’ll be posting 3 questions to spark discussion.
- Here’s the cool part….the discussion questions will be related to the book, but if you didn’t get all your reading done, they will also be general enough for you to still participate! So, no worries if you get behind, or if you want to participate without reading along. Answer the questions and participate anyway!
- To grow in community with one another and discuss the book together, you should answer the discussion questions in the comments section below. I encourage you to respond to each other! Don’t be shy! I wish we could all sit around a table and drink coffee together, but since we don’t all live in the same area, we need to make this work. So, be brave and speak up.
Here’s the schedule!
- Week 1 (September 20th): Read the beginning of the book through page 61 and answer the questions below
- Week 2 (September 20th): Read pages 65-93
- Week 3 (September 27th): Read pages 97-145
- Week 4 (October 4th): Read pages 149-201
- Week 5 (October 11th): Read pages 201-245
- Week 6 (October 18th): Read pages 245-286
- Week 7 (October 25th): Read pages 287-the end
- Possible In-Person Coffee Night to wrap this up? If you think that would be fun, let me know your vote for a location. Even if only some of us could make it, I still think it would be so fun!
Here are the discussion questions to kick off our first week! Answer them throughout this week and be sure to interact with each other. We’re all so new to this so, don’t hold back.
On page 8 she talks about how we all have an inner voice inside of us. That voice is either kind and encouraging, or negative and degrading. What is your inner voice like? Are you kind and supportive of yourself or do you need to work on this?
On page 20 she talks about being a plain girl with tons of personality. She says “If you’re lucky, there is a moment in your life when you have some say in what your currency will be…Decide what your currency is early. Let go of what you will never have. People who get this are happier.” She calls herself a plain girl with tons of personality. How would you describe yourself?
On page 61, she talks about calling your parents and asking them to describe the day you were born. What would they say? Share about the day you were born and what you love or don’t love about your birth story.
Happy discussing! I can’t wait to read your answers!