I love granola bars. But I don’t enjoy all of the processed sugar and added ingredients that come along with them. About a year ago when my husband started to travel for work, I started packing him homemade granola bars for breakfast. Every trip, a different variation. They kept him fuller for longer and I knew exactly what I was feeding my family.
When Kai got old enough, we started making these together and he loved to snack on the mix right out of the bowl. Sometimes I add chopped nuts, chia seeds, sunflower seeds or even pistachios. This variation is by far my favorite. It is perfect for a late night snack. It hits my sweet tooth craving while providing protein and fiber without giving me the sugar high that a candy bar or granola bar would. Try this recipe with your own variations!
- 8 oz dark chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- ¾ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1.5-2 cups of quick oats
- 2 cups, pitted medjool dates, chopped
- Mix dates, shredded coconut, and oatmeal in a large bowl. If mixture feels too sticky, add more oats.
- Press firmly into an 11x13 dish.
- Put coconut oil and dark chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl and heat until melted, about 60 seconds.
- Pour over the date mixture, spread out and refrigerate until set.
- Cut into 30 bars and enjoy!