It was President’s Day and my son’s cousin, who also happens to be his best friend was over. Only 35 days apart, those boys have been crazy about each other since they were only hours old. For my son’s 7th Birthday, we got him a drum set and on this particular afternoon, the boys were listening to music, while drumming to the beat. The rain was pouring down outside and while I listened to them play, I missed the sunshine. Anyone else so ready to throw the windows open and welcome summer?
Grabbing my girls, we headed into the kitchen and made this SUPER simple Whole Wheat Blueberry Orange Bread. When the boys were done drumming and the bread had cooled, everyone gathered around the table and together, we ate almost the entire thing.
This bread tastes like summer. It’s mildly sweet with the happy taste of fresh orange and juicy blueberries (use fresh or frozen). When made with whole wheat flour, this bread will be slightly dense and less cake-like, although my kids didn’t mind this one bit. If you have picky eaters or you’re trying to create more of a special dessert, feel free to use regular flour instead. Enjoy!
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 egg
- Fresh squeezed juice from 1 orange
- Zest from 1/2 an orange
- 2½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Zest from other half of the orange
- 1 tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Spray bunt pan or loaf pan.
- In a large bowl mix together all the cake ingredients except the blueberries and mix until mostly smooth.
- Fold in the blueberries.
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. (Baking time will depend on what type of pan you use).
- While the cake cools, stir the ingredients for the glaze together.
- After the cake is cooled well, remove it from the pan and drizzle the glaze over the top.
A big thank you to those of you who have been leaving such positive reviews of the NW Healthy Mama recipes. We love you guys and your encouraging words mean a lot!