Whenever we buy trail mix, my kids tend to eat all the chocolate and then leave just the nuts for me. Honestly, I just stopped buying it, since there wasn’t really a point. But these cookies! They are a whole different story! My girls and I created this recipe last week and the kids love them.
They are super simple to make and just like trail mix, you can use a wide variety of ingredients. You’ll start by melting coconut oil and then adding in peanut butter and a sweetener. We used honey and raw cane sugar.
Then you’ll combine oats, whole wheat flour, salt and baking soda.Searching through your cupboards, you’ll gather a variety of dried fruit, nuts, seeds, chocolate and maybe some coconut. Then you’ll stir it all together, creating the perfect Trail Mix Cookie.
What would go in your cookie? We used dried cranberries, coconut, slivered almonds, sunflower seeds and chocolate chips and they were amazing!
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup raw cane sugar
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 2 cups total of yummy fillings: mixed seeds and/or nuts, chocolate chunks (pumpkin, sunflower, slivered almonds, shredded coconut), dried fruit (cranberries, cherries, blueberries),chocolate chips etc.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a glass bowl, melt coconut oil.
- Stir in honey, raw sugar and peanut butter.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt and oats.
- Add this mixture to the wet ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Add seeds, nuts, dried fruit and chocolate chips.
- Using your hands, form the dough into approx. 1 inch balls.
- Place them on ungreased cookie sheets, pressing them down to make a cookie shape.
- Bake until cookies are lightly browned (about 12 minutes).
- Allow to cool on cookie sheets for about 5 minutes before removing them to a wire rack,
- We love our cookies with dried cranberries, slivered almonds, shredded coconut, sunflower seeds and dark chocolate chunks. Feel free to try a variety of different fillings!