Breakfast cookies are the number one thing we bake together around here. They’re usually a one bowl recipe, they’re inexpensive to make, usually fairly healthy and super versatile, which makes them great for those times when I don’t want to grocery shop.
If you can keep some old fashioned oats, coconut oil, honey, salt and cinnamon on hand—-you’re well on your way. Often we add in smashed bananas, peanut butter, apple sauce, dried fruit, nuts and chocolate chips.
This “Zucchini Chocolate Chip” variety is a new favorite. My kids aren’t huge zucchini lovers so when I discovered that they’d gobble these, my day was made. I hope you try them out and that your people love them, too!
In a bowl combine grated zucchini, a dash of salt and a generous sprinkle of cinnamon.
Pour the honey over the top and give it all a little stir. Add in old fashioned oats and some whole wheat flour. (In our other breakfast cookie recipes, we don’t use flour but I think this one needs it to hold everything together.) Melt the coconut oil and then pour it in. If you’re like me, you’ll wipe your hand around the bowl afterwards and use that to grease the cookie sheet. Stir! Lastly, add in the chocolate chips and gently stir one more time before scooping the cookies out onto a prepared cookie sheet. Bake in a preheated oven for 12-15 minutes, or until they start to brown around the edges.
- 1 1/2 cups grated zucchini
- dash of salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Grate the zucchini and put it in a bowl.
- Sprinkle in a dash of salt and add in the cinnamon.
- Measure in the honey.
- Melt the coconut oil and then pour it in, stirring everything together well.
- Add in the oats and flour. Stir well.
- Lastly, gently stir in the chocolate chips.
- Scoop onto a greased baking sheet.
- Bake in a preheated 350* oven for 12-15 minutes, or until cookies are set and starting to lightly brown around the edges.
- Feel free to add in raisins, peanut butter, nuts or dried fruit!
Be sure to also try these varieties! Click on photo for link…