Next week our MOPS group is having “crock pot” day, so in search of the perfect Broccoli Cheese Soup recipe, I sat down at the computer. Most of the recipes with 4 or 5 stars had condensed cheese in them. You know the stuff from the can? It’s not very real and when possible, it’s best to avoid it.
So, like you probably saw on Instagram Stories, I decided to create my own recipe and gosh you guys, I love this stuff! It’s full of veggies, low carb and if you blend it smooth and sprinkle some cheese on top, I bet picky kids will even eat it.
It’s been so cold outside that soup is the ideal thing to be eating. Double this recipe if you’re like me, and you like having soup in the refrigerator for lunches. Hope you all enjoy!
- 1/2 lb (about 3-4 cups) fresh broccoli, roughly chopped
- 1 small onion, roughly chopped
- 3 medium carrots, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream, half 'n half or milk
- 16 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Place the broccoli, onion, carrot, and garlic in the bottom of a large crockpot. Pour chicken stock over the veggies. Add the salt, and pepper and stir.
- Set the crock pot to LOW and cook for 6-8 hours or HIGH for 3-4 hours.
- Cream the soup. The easiest way is with an immersion blender but you can also transfer to a blender and then transfer back to the crock pot. If you prefer a more chunky soup, you can also use a potato masher so don’t let not having a blender or immersion blender stop you.
- Immediately prior to serving, add in the cream (be sure to warm it up first) and shredded cheese and stir. Allow the cheese to melt and garnish with extra cheese and serve.