I had the best time whipping up these simple bars yesterday afternoon. If you follow on Instagram, you most likely saw my videos (bloopers too!) and heard about the reasons behind why I wanted to make these. Here’s the deal: My kids are always starving. They need protein and lots of healthy fats in their diets….especially because they are so active.
The bars turned out perfect and in my mind, they’re an ideal mix of protein and good fat, plus they taste really delicious. My kids said they are “the best ever” so I hope ya’ll dig them, too. What I personally love is how simple they are to put together. Just throw everything into your food processor, mix it up and then press it into a parchment lined pan. My kind of cooking, amen?! Filled with healthy Omega-3s, protein, fiber and amino acids, you can feel really good about these ingredients.
Did you know that in only 2 tablespoons of ground flaxseed, there’s 3 grams of protein and 4 grams of fiber? This recipe calls for 1/2 cup….so when you do THAT math, it’s pretty encouraging! Protein and fiber are our friends…especially when paired with a big punch of healthy fat.
Cold-pressed, organic Flax Oils are ideal for those who prefer a vegan Omega-3 option. Flax oil contains more Omega-3 fatty acids than any other botanical in the world. Yet that high content of extremely degradable fats means it can spoil if not handled just right. Over-pressing of flax oil is common, which unduly heats the oil, damages its integrity, diminishes its nutritional value, and ruins its naturally nutty flavor. Barleans proprietary, truly cold-pressed technology protects the perishable flax oil from the damaging effects of heat, light and oxygen. Barleans organic, pure flax oils are sourced from premium North American flaxseed only, are packaged in opaque bottles to prevent oxidation, and are freshness dated to ensure the very highest quality and best taste.
•Raw, Vegan Source of Omega-3 Fatty Acids, Lignans and Dietary Fiber
• Provides all 10 Essential Amino Acids
• USDA Organic, Non-GMO Certified, Gluten Free & Kosher
• Gently Cold Milled
• Sourced from North American Seeds Only
• Freshness Dated for Maximum Freshness & Potency
Forti-Flax® premium ground flaxseed is a nutritional powerhouse delivering essential Omega-3 fatty acids plus fiber, all 10 amino acids, vitamins and trace mineral and phytonutrients including lignans. Barleans proprietary cold-milling process gently liberates these elements without damaging the delicate Omega-3s or altering the natural light and nutty flavor.
- 3 cups old fashioned oats
- 1/2 c. dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 c. Barleans Forti-Flax ground flaxseed
- 1/2 c. raisins
- 1 c. peanut butter
- 2 tbsp. Barleans flax oil
- 1/4 c. raw, local honey
- Place all ingredients into your food processor. Pulse until well combined.
- Line a medium sized baking dish with parchment paper.
- Scoop the mixture into the dish, pressing down with your fingers.
- Chill in the refrigerator until firm.
- Store in the fridge and enjoy within 1 week.
- Additional items you could add to these bars: almonds, coconut oil, dried fruit, chia seeds, melted butter,