It all started when a Melody and I went to Scout PNW after a conference at The Thompson. The server was super nice and told us that honestly, the toasts they serve are the best. So of course, I ordered the Avocado version. Boom! I was in love. So I did what I do after having something amazing in a restaurant….I go home and tell my husband that he needs to make it for me.
Now don’t start judging me here, I’m not a bossy-mossy. My hubby happens to be the best cook I know and he loves the challenge of recreating something we’ve had out. For this one, it was especially tricky since he’d never even tasted it, but personally, I think he nailed it!
So, let’s talk details, shall we? You’ll need 2 avocados, that are just about perfectly ripe. When you smash them, don’t over-smash…you’ll still want some chunks in there, k? A good hearty loaf of grainy bread is what you’ll want to use for the bread. This loaf is from Snowgoose Produce, where The Breadfarm delivers daily (que the hallelujah chorus!). Isn’t it gorgeous?! There’s just something about a beautiful loaf of bread fresh baked that morning. Butter. After you toast your (thick!) slices of bread, you’ll butter them well. Obviously! Then you’ll pile on the seasoned avocado (recipe below), add pickles (so good!), sunflower seeds or pine nuts and lastly, you’ll garnish with the red spices mixture, for a little heat and extra flavor-flav!
- 1 loaf fresh, multigrain bread
- 2 avocados, lightly smashed with fork
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- Pine nuts or sunflower seeds for topping
- Thinly sliced dill pickles for topping
- 1 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. parsley flakes
- butter for the bread
- Mix into the lightly mashed avocados: garlic powder, onion powder, sea salt and pepper.
- Toast bread and butter each slice.
- Top with avocado mixture, then arrange a thin layer of pickles and sprinkle on sunflower seeds or pine nuts.
- In a small bowl combine: red pepper flakes, paprika, and parsley flakes. Garnish with this mixture.
Happy friday, happy weekend, happy avocado toast. Please get yourself a loaf of bread that makes you so happy you want to dance and make this.